Cambridge A-Levels and AS levels are being designed internationally as the qualifications which provides tremendous preparations for unleash in the university education. They are the constituent of the Cambridge Advanced Stage. A-Levels is being highly appreciated all over the globe that’s why it is being conducted in almost 125 countries offering wide range of subjects and variety as per the requirement and the interest of the candidate.
The eligibility criteria which are being constructed for the specific A-Levels program is that the students must have successfully passed their matriculation which is being based on the national education system of Pakistan and the other alternative could be by passing the O-Levels examination under the Cambridge and British board.
Requirement for A-Levels:
A-Levels is considered to be more precise and specialized study so that’s why the minimum courses which a candidate can opt is 3 in Pakistan and even World over, while the maximum courses are not defined because it is up to the caliber and the willingness of any respective candidate who can adopt as many courses as he or she wished or intends.
the curriculum which is being designed for the A-Levels program is intended to focus more critically on the knowledge attainment. That’s why there’s no restriction on the optimization of courses as a student or candidate can opt as many courses as he or she wishes. The candidate either opts for going in to a broader diameter of learning or with the same time he or she can go for specialized learning targeting any single field.
Major courses offered by A-Levels in Pakistan:
- Additional Mathematics:
- Business Studies
- Computer Studies
- English Literature
- Food & Nutrition
- Human & Social Biology
- Principles of Accounts
- English Language
- Pakistan Studies
- Urdu (First Language)
- Urdu (Second Language)
Major Schools offering A-Levels in Lahore:
- Beacon House Systems
- Lahore Grammar School
- Defense Public School
- Crescent model School
- The City School
- University college of Lahore
After completing the course the examinations are being taken for the O-Level program. There are several methods of assessment which includes written, practical, Alternative to practical and oral as per prescribed conditions and policies. The grading system which is being allocated to the student appearing in exams is a six-point scale system station from “A*” till the “E”, where grade A* is the highest while the grade E is the lowest.
In a single calendar year a student can appear only times for their respective O-Level exams as per the conditions of British Council in Pakistan as well as in the entire world. The two sessions of examination takes place in May/June and October/November, although there are several courses which are being offered either in May/June or in Oct/Nov only. There are several ways through which a student can appear in the A-Levels examination, which are being illustrated below:
- The first method is by appearing in all the papers of the Cambridge international A-Level course in the same academic year and examination session which is basically at the end of the second year of the study.
- An assessment option is known as the Staged assessment route; through which the candidate appears is the examination annually despite of being appearing in it after 2 years. This is known as “AS” level in which the candidate takes the AS level in one examination session and complete the final A-Level at a following session.
- The third way is by taking the Cambridge international AS level only, as the AS level has half of the course of the entire A-Levels.
After the accomplishment of the A-Levels the students have the option and the opening to all the fields of higher education which is known as the bachelor level. The field is being selected on the basis of the courses which were being adopted in the A-Level or AS level. The fields may include Bachelors in Engineering, Bachelors in Business administration, Bachelors in medical study and even bachelors in Arts, Fashion designing as well as Medicine.
Benefits of A-Levels:
- Cambridge International AS and A Level qualifications are recognized by universities as equivalent in value to UK AS and A Levels
- It gives one the basic grip over the English language and conceptual knowledge which is being highly deficient in the developing countries like Pakistan.
- Good grades at AS and A Level can result in one full year of advanced standing or credit at universities in the USA and Canada
- It is accepted as an entry qualification by universities of the European Union, on a par with the French Baccalaureate, the German Abitur, etc.
- Good AS and A Level grades are vital for admission to all the world’s major English-speaking universities and many non-English-speaking universities.
- AS and A Levels are rigorous programmes that encourage high academic standards.
- AS and A Levels have a high profile amongst English-medium international schools around the world.
A/O Level Schools: