Pakistan is one of those countries which have a growing market for the computer applications in which the need of software engineering is considered to be the most important priority of the organizations. Not only for the local organizations but due to the international investment and the continual advancements of the Information and Technology within the country the need of engineers considering the software and hardware awareness and expertise are being enhanced. That is one basic reason for which the children are keener to associate with software engineering in Pakistan because they can predict a much better and brighter future and career in this field.
The growth in the information and technology has given a dramatic rise to many careers including computer software engineering. A computer software engineer deals exclusively and directly with the software part of the computer and its formal applications. Their major responsibility and function is to develop, design and assess software and all the systems that a computer uses to function.
Scope of Software Engineering in Pakistan
This is now a very competitive and dynamic course and most institutions have made it available. To be a part of this field and to become a computer software engineer; students are required to pursue a degree in computer science and major in software engineering. Generally the course lasts for a period of four years and is known as BCS. Some engineering universities do tends to offer software engineering as a degree on its own. It is vital that one possesses problem solving skills which are very necessary in this field.
- Algorithms and Computing –Instance of logic written in software
- Data Structures – Organizing and storing data
- Logic and Sequential Circuit Design – Synthesis and Analysis of Sequential Circuits
- Artificial Intelligence Concepts – Study of developing ‘intelligent’ software
- Digital Signal Processing – Mathematical manipulation of an information signal
- Digital Image Processing – Image processing using computer algorithms
- Database Engineering – Defining constraints and parameters for data storage
- Electronic Banking – Deals with software related to online banking
- Internet Computing – Studies the basics of programming for the World Wide Web
- Compiler Writing – Developing code generation software
Top Educational Institutions offering Software Engineering in Pakistan:
- National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Islamabad
- Behria University
- Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi
- University of Engineering and Technology
- Foundation University Islamabad
- Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Topi
- NWFP University of Engineering & Technology, Peshawar (Main Campus)
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro
- NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
Pakistan is included amongst one of those countries which have the highest demand for software engineers at the moment because of the advancement of IT and its applications. To be able to work confidently in this career one needs at least a degree. A keen interest in computers will help you grow in this career. In the passage of time ranging from the last decade Pakistan has created a wide market and growth in the Software engineering department including both private and government sectors. According to a US technical magazine, Software Engineering is the fastest growing job in the world and is likely to become the most paid job near 2020. Software Engineering is in high demand in the private sector in Pakistan. Low economy firms employ a high number of software engineers to carry out basic data handling jobs. New websites in Pakistan has also created new job opportunities for software engineers. The continuous expansion in the IT sector of Pakistan will surely saturate the engineering industry with Software Engineers. Although not at the first priority of many students, software engineering is one of the most promising fields to start your career.